It's been awhile since I've posted anything and we were recently given a task by our parish to produce a top ten list so I've decided to do my top ten things about being Catholic
10. Universality - Catholic means universal and we truly are. It was once said that the sun never sets on the British Empire. The same could be said about the Catholic church. It's all over the world. We are different ethnicities, different nationalities, different languages, different skin colors, but we are one.
9. Liturgy - I've been to mass at Lucas Oil Stadium with 22,000 teen-agers and I've been to mass with only a handful of people present. I've been to mass in the middle of the desert with a make shift altar and I've been to mass in beautiful cathedrals. Different variations but it's the same mass because Jesus is there. It's so simple and beautiful.
8. Bible - the Word of God given to us by the Holy Spirit by the church. We don't study it like we should but it's a treasure. Spend some time reading the gospels tonight.
7. Adoration - my favorite way to prayer and spend time with a friend. I love spending time in front of the Blessed Sacrament and just talking to Jesus. Sometimes, I just sit there in His presence.
6. Tradition - We have nearly 2000 years of tradition behind us and because of that, I feel right at home in the church setting.
5. Priests, Nuns and other Religious - I admire our priests, nuns and brothers who give their life to God. It is a selfless act to dedicate your life to the church and to make a promise of obedience, chastity and in some cases, poverty. It's a life that isn't meant for everyone but it's a life that should be encouraged.
4. Magisterium - by giving Peter the keys to the kingdom of God Jesus gave authority to Peter and the other apostles. Today, our pope is the successor to Peter and our bishops the successors to the apostles and they retain that authority. This is a great gift because we are assured that we will not be led astray by what society tells us may be right. We are led to truth.
3. Saints - not only is it a good thing to be able to ask the saints in Heaven to intercede for us it is also a great reassurance that life doesn't end when we die or that those in Heaven are not disconnected from us.
2. Confession - a gift given to us that takes humility accept and because of that is often turned away. The words of absolution are some of the sweetest words your ears will hear. If you haven't heard them in awhile, perhaps it's time to seek reconciliation.
1. Eucharist - Jesus made present to us, body, blood, soul and divinity in the appearance of bread and wine. There is no greater thing than this.
Friday, July 20, 2012
Top Ten Favorite Things About Being Catholic
Posted by Jamie at 4:08 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Great list, Jamie!ReplyDelete
Ехсеllent poѕt. ӏReplyDelete
used to bе cheсking continuously this blog аnd I'm inspired! Very useful information specially the closing phase :) I deal with such information much. I used to be looking for this certain information for a long time. Thank you and good luck.
Here is my blog post : uk seo